Friday, April 17, 2020

Staff Profile- Mat Harris

Introducing Mr Mat Harris!

Mat is the school Guidance Councillor, teaches Junior Health and coordinates the school Duke of Edinbrugh programme. He is also the staff Water Boy for any sporting fixtures.

1. How long have you been at SKC?

I’ve been here since 2016 (with a year off in between).

2. Where were you and what were you doing before coming to SKC?

I was in Oamaru, pretty much always been here. I was a youth worker and also worked at another boarding school. I did some part-time lecturing and was also a cadet force officer. I originally wanted to be a pilot and started learning to fly about 10 years ago before changing my mind.

3. If you could invite any 3 people to a dinner party who would you invite and why?

I would invite Sir Edmund Hilary, sometimes the greatest leaders are those without position or power. A pioneer who dedicated his life selflessly to making the world a better place. He is an interesting and significant historical figure. I would also invite Bono. He’s an inspirational songwriter, storyteller and advocate. And finally, Sam Tatupu.

4. What do you do outside of teaching?

Not a lot. I’m studying part-time at university (again) in my spare time. I Like to get out tramping or ride my bike. I enjoy photography and sometimes operate a steam train. Also catching up with friends and family is important.

5. If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Be a Jedi.