Monday, April 27, 2020

Staff Profile- Justin Fowler

Introducing Mr Justin Fowler! Justin is the Director of Boarding, teaches Junior PE, is the 1st XV Rugby Coach and the 2nd XI Cricket Player/Coach.

1. How long have you been at SKC?

I am into my 10th year now

2. Where were you and what were you doing before coming to SKC?

Before coming to St Kevin's I was living in Christchurch and teaching
3. If you could invite any 3 people to a dinner party who would you invite and why?

Donald Trump - I would like to take the opportunity to give him some advice.

Marcus Tullius Cicero - He was a Roman orator, lawyer and politician who lived in the 1st century BC. Cicero stood up for what he believed and was able to argue his point effectively and often at great personal danger. Things went pretty well for him until he was murdered and had his body cut up on the orders of Mark Anthony. I admire his courage and determination. It would be good to have a chat with him.

Don Bradman - Regarded as the greatest batter in Test Cricket history. I would like to get some batting tips from him. I am keen to push for selection in the 1st XI. Currently, I need all the help I can get to impress the selector (Mr Smith).

4. What do you do outside of teaching?

I am pretty busy with Sport. I help organise junior cricket in North Otago. I play cricket and coach a rugby team here at school. I am also keen to help and support my own kids as much as I can. I have four children that play cricket and basketball, three of them also play rugby and one plays netball, my daughter is also getting more involved with horses at the moment. That keeps me pretty busy all year round. Not much time for too much else.

5. What's your greatest sporting achievement?

I played for a few junior rep rugby teams when I was growing up in Canterbury but my greatest sporting achievements would be in coaching. I was an assistant coach/manager of the CBHS 1st XV that won the national title in 2006 and SANIX world title that same year and another moment I am proud of was taking the St Kevin's 1st XV to the National co-ed schools Top 4 championship in 2014. That was a great result for a school our size and to lose the semifinal to a last-minute drop goal was hard to take.

I also take a great deal of satisfaction in seeing former students/players that I coach continue to play sport after they leave school. I like to think I have played a small part in them enjoying the sport enough that they want to continue playing at whatever level when they leave.

6. If you could have one super power what would it be?

The ability to hit a cricket ball to or over the boundary. For some reason, I have not been given that superpower, unlike a lot of other people around. Maybe it is still coming. I wait and hope.