Monday, June 14, 2021

Introducing Coach George Karamaena

We are so lucky here at St Kevin's College to have some excellent coaches for our students who volunteer their time in our sports programmes. We thought we would take some time to profile some of our coaches so you can get to know them! 

First up we have George Karamaena, U14.5 Rugby Coach

⭐ How did you get involved coaching at SKC?

I have been coaching on and off for around 5 years. My brother in-law is a student at SKC and plays rugby and it so happened that they were looking for another coach for this season. Craig Smith also used to teach me down at Southland Boys and made the connection and got in touch. 

⭐ What sports do/ have you played?

Currently I don’t play any sports. I like to play a bit of softball and touch when I can. Unfortunately I can’t play contact sport due to an accident. I played rugby, touch and softball for many years.

⭐ Have you played any sport at a representative level?

I have played at a representative level with all 3 sports over the years for Southland. Men’s major league for softball too. 

⭐ What is your favourite part about coaching?

Working with young men and passing on my past experiences to inspire them for their future. I also still love to be involved in the sport I grew up having a passion for. Unfortunately playing rugby got taken away from me due to an accident back in 2016.

⭐ What is your personal coaching philosophy?

I am a firm believer that if you have knowledge, pass it on to those who do not. I also believe that playing sports as a child, not only builds character and confidence but also gives them a sense of accomplishment. It also prepares them for life. Working as a team or as a team player, not as an individual. 

⭐ Speak on a challenge you’ve faced and what you did to get through it? Sporting or otherwise.

In March 2016 I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was underneath a falling balcony at a Six60 concert and sustained some pretty life changing injuries. I broke my back and both of my legs which put me in hospital for many weeks and was unable to walk for a couple of months. I had just started back rugby for the season and was absolutely devastated at the fact I couldn’t play for not only that season but for many seasons to come. Being faced with such a life changing experience taught me a lot being a young 19 year old. I suffered not just physically but also mentally as sport was such a huge part of my life. I made sure that I surrounded myself with friends and family and who brought the best out of me. Keeping busy by exercising, studying at the institute of sport- which helped guide me through tough times. Talking to people that have gone through similar situations and being open about it.

⭐ Advice to young sportspeople? 

Respect - Respect each other and everyone around you. 

Team work - working together and communicating. There is no “I” in team

Work ethic - if you are passionate about something, you’ll push your self to achieve set goals

⭐ Favourite quote? Sporting or otherwise

You don’t get what you wish for. You get what you work for.