Friday, June 6, 2014

Principal's Message

Kia Ora Kevinian's and Friends of the College

As I return to St Kevin's after an inspirational time establishing Edmund Rice Education Beyond Borders (EREBB), I wish to formally thank Mr Ryan and our Senior Management Teams for stepping up in my absence. Your extra effort has allowed me to contribute in a very real way to the formation of this ground breaking international educational organisation.

Queen's Birthday Exeat Weekend provided a welcome midterm break and allowed me to recover from jet-lag and time zone challenges on my return from Nairobi. It was a pleasure for Mr Ryan and I to see our first rugby and netball teams win competition games on the Saturday. Player passion, quality coaching and community support, all came together on the day to highlight the importance of College sport to our mission. It forms the backbone of the "hidden curriculum" which teaches teamwork, tolerance and encourages healthy lifestyle choices. My thanks to our coaches at all levels for the invaluable work you are doing as you positively shape our young people's knowledge, skills and attitudes.

On Tuesday, our boy's teams headed off to the annual St Bede's inter-school which was hosted in Christchurch this year. Deserving a special mention was the close game between the two 1st XV rugby teams. A contentious last minute try to Bede's saw the whistle blow with the score at 24-22 to St Bede's.

On Wednesday, took the opportunity to show some images from my trip to the College at assembly. I am sure that the images from the slums of Nairobi challenged their thinking. On a more uplifting side, I am looking forward to the links that will be made in years to come with the formation of the EREBB.

Today at Mass we have celebrated with Fr Wayne the 40th anniversary of his ordination as a priest. This is a significant event and at the end of the celebration we captured a photograph of the current students with Father in the Chapel. As Principal, I am indebted to Fr Wayne for the support and spiritual guidance he provided both to me and the wider community and I ask you to keep him and his mission in your prayers.

God Bless
Paul Olsen, Principal

No comments:

Post a Comment